Overuse of your contact lenses – wearing them for too long or incorrectly can lead to infections and/or eye injuries. Wearing your lenses overnight can be especially problematic. Make sure to follow your optometrist’s instructions for using contact lenses to avoid these avoid these problems.
A few more important tips:
- Make sure your hands are clean before putting in or taking out your contacts. Wash them with soap and water, rinse and then dry your hands before handling your lenses.
- Rinse and store your contacts with saline solution or sterile water. Never use tap water
- Make sure you have a pair of glasses for times when you cannot wear your contacts – or to just give your eyes a break from your lenses.
- Wear sunglasses with UV protection during daylight hours.
- If your eyes are irritated or hurting, take your lenses out. If the pain persists, visit our eye doctor.